The content of this article applies to APW3, APW3+, APW3++, APW5 and APW7.
Click to learn about 5 possible problems with power supply and their solutions:
1. The fan does not spin at all, there is no 12V output>
2. The fan runs normally but no 12V output>
3. The power supply stops repeatedly for a few seconds and then resumes>
4. The power output of PSU is normal, but the fan does not turn>
5. The power supply suddenly loses power output and cannot resume>
Power supply problems and solutions
1. The fan does not spin at all, there is no 12V output.
This may be due to the incorrect power supply on the A/C side of the power supply.
Use a multimeter (Recommend Fluke 15b+ multimeter) to check the power supply voltage
Check whether the A/C wire is normal and the both ends of the plug are not loose. Also check whether the electricity and voltage from the power grid to the power supply are normal.
2. The cooling fan runs normally but no 12V output.
This means that the voltage of the power grid is low or the power supply is in protection mode.
Use a multimeter to check the power supply voltage
(1) Use a multimeter to check whether the current voltage is above 205V and confirm that the power supply can be started.
(2) Check whether the output of the power supply is short-circuited or overloaded. This will cause the power supply to enter protection mode. You need to turn off the PSU for 10 minutes then resume.
3. The PSU repeatedly stops for a few seconds and then resumes.
This is because the power supply is in high temperature protection mode.
Check if the fan is spinning. If the fan does not spin, you need to replace the fan or repair the power supply.
Few things to check:
(1) Check whether the cooling air duct of the power supply is blocked. If it is blocked, the blockage needs to be removed.
(2) Check whether there is dust accumulated in the power supply. If you find dirt, remove the dirt.
(3) Check whether the output temperature of the power supply or the ambient temperature exceeds the data in the power limit curve. It may be caused by high temperature or overload.
4. The power output is normal, but the fan does not rotate.
The possibility of fan failure is high. Check whether the fan is blocked by debris. If it is blocked, you need to clear the blockage. If the fan does not work anyway, please send the power supply to a nearby repair center for repair, or replace with a high-quality power supply.
5. The power supply suddenly loses power output and cannot resume.
It is because the power supply is in overcurrent protection mode. Check whether the load current instantaneously exceeds the upper limit of the overcurrent protection, causing the power supply to enter the overcurrent protection mode.
It would help if you replaced it with a brand new power supply for testing. If the miner works normally after replacing the power supply, please send the damaged power supply to a nearby repair center for repair; if you still have the same problem after replacing the power supply, please repair your miner directly.
Note: When the load current is abnormal and the power supply continues to work, the power supply will enter the protection mode to prevent fire and other dangerous situations.
Knowing the precautions for using the power supply can avoid damage to your power supply.
Do's and don'ts of a power supply
If you still cannot resolve this issue, please contact us for further assistance.